Peanut Butter Tofu [Vegan]
- 1 12 oz package of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 tbsp soy sauce, tamari sauce, or coconut aminos
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1-2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat.
- Wrap tofu in a paper towel and set something heavy on top of the tofu like a pan to press the excess water out.
- Once the oven is preheated, unwrap the tofu and cut into cubes. Place the tofu cubes on an even layer on the baking sheet. Put in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. The tofu should be dried out and slightly crispy.
- While the tofu is cooking, add the remaining ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Once the tofu is finished cooking, add it to the peanut butter mixture and let it marinate for 10 minutes. Stir it every few minutes so all of the tofu is evenly coated.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tofu and all of the peanut butter mixture into the pan. Cook for around 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Some of the peanut butter mixture will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve over cooked rice. I also like to add black beans, avocado, and sriracha.
- This peanut butter tofu tastes the best when it is fresh, but it can be refrigerated and reheated on the stovetop. You will lose some of the flavor from the peanut butter sauce if you do this.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile